The project handover refers to the transfer of project responsibilities. There may be multiple reasons behind it like project timeline, communication, quality issues, etc. Try to communicate with the team, provide recommendations, and modify strategies. If all these efforts don't make any difference then project handover is the final choice.
If you are someone who wants to transfer your project responsibilities then you are at the right place.
In this blog, we will discuss in detail about project handover and the steps involved in handover an existing project to a new software partner Read the blog to get more information about it..
What is project handover?
A handover is a transfer of responsibilities of a project from one company, team, or person to another. It is a complicated process that takes a lot of time as new teams need to understand the project and their role in building it successfully in the future. So now you have got the basic idea about project handover it's time to discuss the steps involved in this process.
Steps to handover your project to a new software development partner
- Decide details to be transferred: This is the first and most crucial step in project handover. Create a document about what has been done and what remains to be done in the future. Have a look at the below-mentioned points about the transfer of details.
- Information about the complete and incomplete tasks
- Create a project development plan.
- Define roles and responsibilities
- Analyze the risk factor
- Discuss with the team about documentation: Creating and maintaining proper documentation is really crucial to ensure the smooth working of project handover. Ensure that the old software development partner provides well-drafted comprehensive documentation of the project. If they have not drafted proper documentation, ask the lead developer to provide a complete walkthrough of the code. So a new development partner can create documentation that will provide ease in the future.
- Get access to third-party services: We all know software development involves integrating third-party services. Your software development team will most likely use their accounts to access Git repositories, servers, and other third-party services. So during project handover remember to get access to all these third-party services as your new team will surely need them.
- Go step by step to make the transition hassle-free: To keep things clear make a proper checklist of transition components. Divide the transition into different parts and carefully complete all the parts of the process. Some of the most common points to include in the transition checklist are:
- Project specifications and current stage of the project
- App Architecture
- System configuration and installation
- Project Testing plan
- Information about security check-ins
- Interact closely with both teams: This is one of the most important steps in project handover. Some of the tips that you need to keep in mind are mentioned below:
- For the Old team: Express your gratitude towards all the hard work and efforts that they have put in. There may be multiple disputes but ensure not to completely break off the relations. Also, take access and complete ownership of the code to save the new team from future hassle.
- For the new development team: The first and foremost thing is to make the new team comfortable so they can work effectively on the software. Also, be patient as the new team may need some time to familiarize and understand the product. Make sure to provide the team immense support they need to complete the tasks.
So by now, you are loaded with all the tips required for a successful software project handover. Still, you can encounter some unseen issues, but following our advice will make your transition hassle-free. If you are looking for a new software development team then we are here for you. Citrusbug Technolabs has a group of the best talents who will help your business grow. For more get in touch with us now!!
The key to a successful handover is good communication. The incoming teams need clear, concise, and proper documentation to carry out the project efficiently.
Some of the major challenges in software handover are lack of -coordination, poor management, lack of communication, and time management.
There are two types of handover vertical and horizontal.
Some of the major reasons to choose Citrusbug Technolabs for software project handover are:
- Work with the top 1% of the talent
- On-time delivery
- Transparency and integrity
- Vast technical knowledge
- 24*7 Availability